Friday, June 18, 2010

Memories of cooking with my grandmother...

 When I was 9 years old my Grandmother Hayden gave me a cookbook that I use all the time...it was definately a book that helped me learn how to cook (at 9 years old I made cream puffs - using the recipe from this book)!


I always think of my grandmother when I use this book...and love the little message that she wrote to me all those years ago!  Food has a way of making memories...and there are many recipes in this book that bring back lots of memories!! 

For years my mom tried to find out my grandmother's recipe for Meringue...it was a family joke that nobody could quite figure out her recipe...and even when she would give it out to people...it never quite turned out like hers.  Years went by and I decided that I wanted to learn to make meringue pies...so my grandmother gave me a lesson....and I made meringue just like hers!!!  And yes, there was a secret ingredient that is now hand-written in my cookbook (written during our "lesson" all those years ago).  Now I have it...not sure if I will share it with anyone...not yet anyway! 





No comments:

Post a Comment